6172.5 - Pilot Programs and Research Projects
Pilot Programs and Research Projects
Recognizing that research projects often furnish a sound basis for substantiating and /or improving the instructional program, it is the policy of the Board of Education to encourage the development and operation of soundly designed research projects and pilot programs by its professional staff and other professionals outside of the school district. Such projects and programs may be financed by the school district, state and federal agencies, private foundations and other groups, or a combination of sources.
Before the implementation of any research project or pilot program within the Newtown schools, the approval of the Board of Education Curriculum and Instruction Subcommittee shall be required. Research projects and pilot programs are defined as those which do not affect
• Total educational program;
• Program of the total grade level;
• Total grade level of any one school; or
• Program of the total department of any one school.
The Curriculum and Instruction Subcommittee’s approval shall be based upon
• Documented need;
• Available research on program effectiveness;
• Alignment with the core beliefs and mission of the Newtown Public Schools;
• Collaboration with building-based leadership and the Curriculum and Instruction Subcommittee during the proposal development stage;
• Staffing and student selection implications;
• Projected costs for planning and future implementation; and
• Program evaluation criteria.
The foregoing shall be outlined in writing and presented to the Board of Education Curriculum and Instruction Subcommittee, which shall provide notice to the Board of Education.
A report of all research projects and pilot programs being carried on within the school system shall be provided to the Board of Education and Curriculum and Instruction Subcommittee for review of progress, with a final determination of next steps after one year of implementation.
Policy adopted: May 17, 2016
NEWTOWN PUBLIC SCHOOLS, Newtown, Connecticut