9272 - Code of Conduct on Data Use
Bylaws of the Board
Code of Conduct on Data Use
As a guide to the appropriate use of data in the decision-making process, Board members should:
- Request information and data gathered by District staff that helps the Board members make better-informed decisions about policies affecting student achievement district-wide.
- Look to the Superintendent as the point person. The Superintendent will respond to all data requests to the Board as a whole. If the Superintendent finds the data request will take a considerable amount of staff time, the Superintendent will communicate with the Board Chair. The Board will then direct the Superintendent on how to proceed with the request.
- Use data to represent all of the Board member’s constituents honestly and equally and refuse to surrender the Board member’s responsibilities to special interest or partisan political groups.
- Avoid using the Board position, and the information data supplies as a result of Board membership, for personal gain.
- Recognize that decisions can be made only by a majority vote at a Board meeting after everyone on the Board has had adequate time to review all the data and information.
- Respect the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Abide by majority decisions of the Board, while retaining the right to seek changes through ethical and constructive channels.