4-201.1 - Selection Procedure Criteria
SELECTION PROCEDURE CRITERIA
THE SUPERINTENDENT SHALL SEEK TO RECRUIT, SELECT, AND NOMINATE THE ABLEST AND BEST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES AVAILABLE, USING THE CRITERIA ENUMERATED BELOW:
- ALL VACANCIES WILL BE POSTED WITHIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM AND INCLUDE INFORMATION REQUIRED BY EMPLOYEE CONTRACTS AND REPORTED TO THE STATE.
- ALL VACANCIES WILL BE ADVERTISED IN LOCAL NEWSPAPERS TO EXPAND THE POOL OF ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS OF VACANCIES SHALL FOLLOW PROCEDURES OUTLINED IN THE CURRENT AGREEMENTS WITH EMPLOYEE UNITS.
- RECRUITMENT ACTIVITIES WILL INCLUDE WIDE CONTACT WITH PRIVATE PLACEMENT AGENCIES AND OTHER RESOURCES MAY BE APPROPRIATE.
- A POLICY OF NON-DISCRIMINATION SHALL BE FOLLOWED IN THE RECRUITMENT/SELECTION PROCESS ON THE BASIS OF AGE, SEX, CREED, NATIONAL ORIGIN, HANDICAP, OR OTHER NON-MERIT REASONS.
- A STRONG EDUCATION ORGANIZATION IS ENHANCED BY A QUALIFIED STAFF WITH A BREADTH OF PREPARATION AND EXPERIENCE. CONSIDERATION SHOULD BE GIVEN TO A PERCEPTION OF THE CANDIDATE'S COMPATIBILITY WITH NEWTOWN'S EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM. EVERY EFFORT WILL BE MADE TO ACHIEVE THIS COMBINATION IN STAFF SELECTION.
- THE SUPERINTENDENT SHALL HAVE OVERALL SUPERVISION OF THE SELECTION PROCESS.
- CANDIDATE INTERVIEWS SHALL BE CONDUCTED BY THE BUILDING PRINCIPAL OR APPROPRIATE ADMINISTRATOR/SUPERVISOR, WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF THE STAFF PARTICIPATING AS MAY BE DETERMINED. THE SUPERINTENDENT SHALL CONDUCT THE INTERVIEWS OF CANDIDATES FOR DISTRICT-WIDE POSITIONS AND MAY INVOLVE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE STAFF.
- INTERVIEWS FOR A NOMINEE TO FILL A DISTRICT-WIDE VACANT POSITION MAY BE ARRANGED BY THE SUPERINTENDENT WITH THE BOARD OF EDUCATION.
- RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALL APPOINTMENTS THAT REQUIRE BOARD OF EDUCATION APPROVAL SHALL FOLLOW A STANDARD FORMAT PROVIDED BY THE SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICE.
- IF THE SUPERINTENDENT DETERMINES THAT THE APPOINTMENT OF A DESIRED CANDIDATE FOR A POSITION MAY BE JEOPARDIZED BY WAITING FOR A BOARD MEETING, HE/SHE IS AUTHORIZED TO EMPLOY THAT CANDIDATE AND EXECUTE THE EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT. THE SUPERINTENDENT, AT THE NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED BOARD MEETING, WILL GIVE THE BOARD THE WRITTEN HIRING RECOMMENDATION.
EMPLOYMENT OF NONCERTIFICATED PERSONNEL
When seeking to fill positions on its staff, the Newtown Board of Education subscribes to the basic principle of "best qualified", irrespective of other factors.
When vacancies are to be filled, the following procedures are to be observed:
- Residents of the Newtown school district who have made application for the respective vacancy and who are still available are to be contacted to arrange for an interview with the administrator or director responsible for the aspect of the school's program. A record of the interview is to be kept with the application.
- Local newspaper advertisements are to be scheduled to solicit further applications from school district resident for certain key non-certified positions such as head custodian, head cook, head maintenance man, executive secretary. In the case of non-certified personnel, REGIONAL/STATE newspaper advertisement may be used if there is a limited number of applicants on hand. In general, use of the newspaper advertisement is considered to be advisable for all such vacancies.
- Posting of all position vacancies within the school system, with an appropriate job description and salary level, shall be a standard procedure, to encourage current employees to express interest in the listed vacancies.