4111.3/4211.3 - Plan for Minority Recruitment and Selection
Personnel - Certified/Non-Certified
Plan for Minority Recruitment and Selection
The Board of Education (Board) believes that a skillful and diverse staff contributes significantly to high quality, engaging learning environments, predicated on a climate of inclusion, and directs the Superintendent to enact a planning process that supports efforts to encourage, recruit, employ, and retain a qualified diverse staff.
In compliance with all applicable State statutes pertaining to a written plan for racially and ethnically diverse staff recruitment and retention, the District will:
- Inform all recruiting sources of the Board’s non-discrimination policy.
- Develop contacts with community organizations and educational institutions, to publicize job openings within the school district and to solicit referrals of racially and ethnically diverse candidates.
- Maintain or expand as appropriate the help-wanted advertising to include print and/or broadcast media that is targeted to diverse applicants.
- Utilize the Connecticut Regional Education Service Centers (RESCs) and Connecticut Regional Educational Application Placement (CT REAP) websites to publicize available positions within the District.
- Participate in local job fairs, including those that are sponsored by community organizations that embrace and celebrate diversity.
- Annually review and report to the Board the plan and the efforts to employ and retain a qualified, racially and ethnically diverse staff.
(cf. 4111.1/4211.1 - Equal Opportunity Employment: Affirmative Action)
Legal Reference: Connecticut General Statutes
4a-60 Nondiscrimination and affirmative action provisions in contracts of the state and political subdivisions rather
4a-60a Contracts of the state and political subdivisions, other than municipalities, to contain provisions re
nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
10-153 Discrimination on account of marital status
46a-60 Discriminatory employment practices prohibited
46a-81a Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
Title VII, Civil Rights Act U.S.C. 2000e, et. seq.
PA 16-41 An Act Concerning the Recommendations of the Minority Teacher Recruitment Task Force
PA 18-34 An Act Concerning Minority Teacher Recruitment and Retention
PA 19-74 An Act Concerning Minority Teacher Recruitment and Retention
Policy Adopted: April 5, 2022
Newtown Public Schools, Newtown, CT